The villa manager will typically have a wealth of information about nearby places of interest and will help arrange transport and make any bookings required. Do also ask the staff about the local area. Invariably some of them will live nearby and will be able to give an interesting insight into some of the fascinating aspects of Lombok life.
In the meantime, here is a taste of the many and varied activities on offer within reach of the villa.
- Play a round of golf at the Lombok Golf Kosaido Country Club – a serene 18-hole championship course on Sira Beach with dramatic views of Mount Rinjani.
- Visit one of the three, coral-fringed Gili Islands – Trawangan, Meno and Air – just off Lombok’s northwest coast, for a truly laid-back island experience.
- Go scuba diving or snorkelling in the crystal aquamarine waters of the Gili islands, famed for their many sea turtles.
- Visit Tandjung village market, where stalls overflow with local produce.
- If you are on for a challenge and have three days to spare, trek to the rim of Mount Rinjani, Lombok’s revered volcano.
- Visit Senaru Village, gateway to Rinjani National Park, and enjoy a guided walk to the beautiful waterfalls known as Sindang Gila and Tiu Kelep.
- Go on a souvenir shopping spree to Lombok’s pottery, weaving and basketware villages, or visit Sweta’s Bertais market which sells pretty much everything made on the island.
- Lombok is well known for its pearl farms. In fact, Diamond, the villa’s name, means pearl. For loose pearls and pearl jewellery, visit one of the specialist retail outlets in Sekarbela near Mataram.
- Learn about Lombok’s cultural heritage on a visit to a traditional Sasak tribal village.